Existing RBC systems can be upgraded through the simple inexpensive addition of SideCar aeration, which provides almost immediate control of excessive biomass thickness, and typically produces a higher quality effluent within two weeks. Improved performance might defer or preclude the necessity of very expensive and lengthy plant expansion programs.
SideCar’s unique construction, i.e. sectionalized for compact shipment and convenient handling, permits packing several complete systems in a single 4 ft by 8 ft shipping container. Whether the plant is next door or off shore, SideCar systems are shipped as a complete kit including stainless steel supports and anchor bolts ready for quick installation.
Each SideCar™ order is accompanied by installation drawings and instructions prepared specially for that project. Complete systems, including air supply blowers, can, if necessary, be designed and shipped in as little as 4 weeks from an order.
Thinner biomass is achieved and maintained through increased shearing and scouring action as air bubbles rise through the corrugations in the RBC media. This ability to control biomass thickness is a recognized advantage in all fixed-film technology, allowing optimization of the treatment process. This biomass control permits existing RBC “high-density media” to be exposed to higher BOD concentrations and loadings with less risk of mechanical overloading from excessive biofilm growth.
PROLONGED EQUIPMENT LIFE
Coincidental with process advantages, thinner biomass reduces structural loads on media, media supports, and shaft assembly, extending equipment life while eliminating downtime and expensive repairs. Hydraulic drag is reduced, and imbalance is minimized, reducing torque and wear on the drive gear and hinting at energy savings. SideCar aeration is more effective in stripping stubborn biomass than reverse rotation or chemicals.
IMPROVED BOD REMOVAL
At higher BOD loadings, or in oxygen-limited conditions, aerated RBCs have demonstrated 15-40% higher soluble BOD removal than conventional mechanically driven RBC systems. First-stage SBOD loadings for “standard media” can typically be increased from 2.0 to as high as 4.0 PPD/1000 SF
Nitrifying bacteria do not predominate until SBOD is reduced to about 15 mg/l and perform best at higher dissolved oxygen levels. Improved BOD removal in the first and second stages and higher DO in third and fourth stages contribute to improved ammonia removal (nitrification).
BETTER SOLIDS CAPTURE/CLARIFIER PERFORMANCE
Better-settling biological floc results from retarding, if not eliminating, development of less settable filamentous microorganisms; solids capture in the secondary clarifier, hence treatment efficiency, is improved.
MOST ECONOMICAL TO INSTALL, OPERATE & MAINTAIN
SideCar™ has these unique advantages
- Effective aeration of RBC media and tank contents through calculated orientation of diffusers; low profile headers and precision configured drop pipes fit in concrete or steel tanks with minimal clearances between media and tank walls and floor; SideCars™ deliver air near bottom center of RBC, right where it is required to strip biomass direct air into the media and mix tank contents.Effective aeration of RBC media and tank contents through calculated orientation of diffusers; low profile headers and precision configured drop pipes fit in concrete or steel tanks with minimal clearances between media and tank walls and floor; SideCars™ deliver air near bottom center of RBC, right where it is required to strip biomass direct air into the media and mix tank contents.
- Superior, most efficient RBC aeration; conservatively designed and tested hydraulics, with closely spaced, heavy duty coarse-bubble diffusers, control pressure drops, assure long term air distribution and minimize operating pressures to 200% design air flow.
- Simplicity means low cost and convenient installation in just hours with RBC’s in place; no tank floor or underwater anchors or supports. Pipes do not obstruct access or interfere with flow.
- Job-specific installation drawings and O&M manuals. Customized design; complete pipe, valve, diffuser and supports specially designed for each plant. Blowers selected and sized to permit sensible turndown and control.
- Maximum operational flexibility; stage air valves easily accessible for air scour and process control. SideCar™ users benefit from experience of outfitting hundreds of RBC’s.
- Reliable, low maintenance; SideCar™ constructed of sch 80 PVC pipe with 300 series stainless steel hardware; eighteen (18) month warranty.